General Care & Cleaning
Gems and precious metals are gifts of nature, which need special care. Even though a gem may be millions of years old, once mined and worn, it can be exposed to many conditions and chemicals that can damage it.
In general, be sure to remove your jewelry before housework and any recreational activities. Chemicals such as household cleaners should not be used on or around your jewelry. Even personal care items like hair spray, lotions and perfumes can be damaging to your fine jewelry. Please be sure to remove your jewelry before rigorous exercise and before entering a pool or hot tub.
Most fine jewelry purchases from Chalmers Jewelry will automatically come with an appraisal. Chalmers Jewelers will update your appraisal at any time. If you haven’t already, use your appraisal to ask your insurance provider to insure your fine jewelry purchases against loss or theft.
Here are some more DO’s and DON’T’s:
- DO have your pieces regularly checked for loose stones frequently by Chalmers Jewelers.
- DO have your pieces regularly cleaned by Chalmers Jewelers to maintain its sparkle and beauty.
- DON’T wear fine jewelry when doing housework, washing dishes or gardening.
- DON’T heap or bunch your jewelry into one drawer. They will chip or scratch each other.
- DON’T use toothpaste or other house hold cleaners to clean jewelry.
For more specific care and cleaning information, follow these links: